"Cold Enough: Excess winter deaths, Winter Fuel Payments and the UK's problem with the cold
Twitter hashtag: #coldenough
- Department for Work and Pensions
- Department of Health
- Department for Energy and Climate Change
- Department for Communities and Local Government
- A fragmented, uncoordinated approach across different government departments.
- The domination of the issue of ‘fuel poverty’ over the health effects of the cold, and an over-reliance on incomplete government means testing data; and,
- The clear need to do better.
- Introduce an annual public health campaign linked to the Winter Fuel Payment to further influence cold-related behaviour.
- Create a single national ‘at-risk’ register for the cold, integrating DWP, energy company, GP and local authority data.
- Give clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) responsibilities for excess winter deaths.
- Enable CCGs and Health and Wellbeing Boards to refer households for free home insulation under the government’s Energy Company Obligation (ECO).
- Make excess winter deaths and cold-related illness a Ministerial priority.